Enjoy a healthy version of Eggs Benedict with Sautéed Spinach and Basil Olive Oil. The spinach sauté is quick and easy to prepare. It features salt free seasonings and vegan mozzarella cheese. It acts as a delicious substitute for hollandaise sauce. You can enjoy this dish with toast or english muffin*. It’s just as amazing without the bread — making it gluten free*.
Overall Ingredients for Dish (serves two):
- 2 Eggs (add more if you’d like to)
- Your favorite toast, english muffin or gluten free bread (optional)
- Butter or spray for pan
- Sautéed Spinach ingredients (see below)
Ingredients for Sautéed Spinach (serves two):
- 1 Plentiful handful of baby spinach
- 2 tbsp Gourmet Blends Basil Olive Oil (1 tbsp when serving without eggs)
- 3-4 Pinches Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds (Trader Joes brand is dairy free, melts and stretches). You can use regular mozzarella.
- Several pinches (to taste) of Mrs Dash Table Blend (salt-free)
- 1/2 Pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt Cystals (Trader Joes Brand or other substitute salt)
Method for Sautéeing Spinach (cook time 2-3 minutes or to your liking):
- Prepare and time out cooking of your eggs to be warm and ready when the sauteed spinach is ready.
- Place non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Prevent sticking. Butter or spray pan. (suggestion: use coconut oil spray)
- Add baby spinach bundle.
- Pour Gourmet Blends Basil Olive Oil evenly over baby spinach. Toss to spread the Gourmet Blends Basil Olive Oil over all the leaves.
- Now top with vegan mozzarella or regular mozzarella.
- Sprinkle Mrs Dash evenly over vegan mozzarella and spinach
- Next turn the temperature down to simmer.
- Let ingredients sit to cook for two to three minutes or to your liking. Don’t let the spinach get too soggy by cooking for too long.
- Tend to prepping for plating sautéed spinach and poached eggs.
Plating Poached Eggs and Sautéed Spinach (there are several options):
- Serve the poached egg(s) over a bed of the sautéed spinach.
- Serve the poached egg(s) with the sautéed spinach on the side.
- Serve with toast or english muffin*. Place the spinach over toast or muffin. Top the poached egg over the bed of sautéed spinach.
Finishing techniques for Eggs Benedict with Sautéed Spinach and Basil Olive Oil:
– After plating the food fork the yoke to let it run and add salt to taste – or Mrs Dash Table Blend (salt-free).
Variation for Eggs Benedict with Sautéed Spinach and Basil Olive Oil:
You can even vary this recipe by preparing this dish with fried eggs.
* Serving without toast or muffin gives you more of a gluten free dish. But you can include a gluten free bread. One suggestion is to use Against the Grain Gourmet Vermont Country Rolls (gluten-free and dairy-free). They have a store locator on their website. It’s often sold at Whole Foods Market.
From the kitchen of Lisa Fischer; Nutrition Counselor for emotional eating and well-being and Founder of Soul2SoulHealing.com. Lisa enjoys making tasty but healthier choices in the kitchen. What variations do you like to put into your Eggs Benedict recipe? Let us know in the comments below.